Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Mystery Review - Double-Booked for Death

Hey Y'all,

Today I'm reviewing Double-Booked for Death by Ali Brandon.


Summary from GoodReads: As the new owner of Pettistone's Fine Books, Darla Pettistone is determined to prove herself a worthy successor to her late great-aunt Dee...and equally determined to outwit Hamlet, the smarter-than-thou cat she inherited along with the shop. Darla's first store event is a real coup: the hottest bestselling author of the moment is holding a signing there. But when the author meets an untimely end during the event, it's ruled an accident-until Hamlet digs up a clue that seems to indicate otherwise...

Review after the jump!



Review: I’m quite allergic to cats, so the only cats I usually encounter are in the pages of the books I read. Hamlet, and his reluctant owner Darla leapt off of the pages, along with Jake, as well-written characters. The mystery plot of the book, however, was weak. I rank cozy mysteries on two things: Characters/Setting and Mystery Plot. If the characters and settings are strong enough to hold my interest, I will give the series a chance to overcome a weak mystery, as I did with the County Cork series by Sheila Connolly. The best cozies, like The Library Lovers Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay pair sharp characters with a well plotted mystery. For me, Double-Booked for Death had the first part. Interesting characters and premise, but the murder plot was inexcusably weak. Verdict: Nice, quick read for the characters, but a mediocre mystery keeps it from fulfilling it’s potential. 

Stars: 2.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment