Tuesday, May 19, 2015

YA Review - Flavia de Luce Novels One & Seven by Alan Bradley

Hey y’all, 

Today I’m reviewing The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1)  and As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce #7) by Alan Bradley. 



Summary from Goodreads: (First) It is the summer of 1950–and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events: A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Then, hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath.

For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw. “I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn’t. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.”

(Seventh) Hard on the heels of the return of her mother’s body from the frozen reaches of the Himalayas, Flavia, for her indiscretions, is banished from her home at Buckshaw and shipped across the ocean to Miss Bodycote’s Female Academy in Toronto, her mother’s alma mater, there to be inducted into a mysterious organization known as the Nide.

No sooner does she arrive, however, than a body comes crashing down out of the chimney and into her room, setting off a series of investigations into mysterious disappearances of girls from the school.

More after the jump! 


Review: I have been hearing about the Flavia de Luce novels for a while now, so I was excited to receive an ARC of the newest book in the series, As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust from the publisher on Netgalley. I decided to buy the first book, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and read it first in order to familiarize myself with the characters. I really enjoyed reading both of these books and look forward to reading books 2-6. The mysteries were intriguing, but the real draw with these books are the characters. Flavia exhibits the precociousness of Artemis Fowl and the ingenuity of Trixie Belden or Nancy Drew. These characteristics, as well as the English and Canadian settings make for an excellent read and I would highly recommend it to those 13+. 


Rating: 4/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment