Thursday, March 12, 2015

YA Review - Biggie by Derek E. Sullivan

Hey y’all, 

Today I’m reviewing Biggie by Derek E. Sullivan. 


Summary from Goodreads: Henry "Biggie" Abbott is the son of one of Finch, Iowa 's most famous athletes. His father was a baseball legend and his step-dad is a close second. At an obese 300+ pounds though, Biggie himself prefers classroom success to sports. As a perfectionist, he doesn't understand why someone would be happy getting two hits in five trips to the plate. "Forty percent, that's an F in any class," he would say. As Biggie's junior year begins, the girl of his dreams, Annabelle Rivers, starts to flirt with him. Hundreds of people have told him to follow in his dad's footsteps and play ball, but Annabelle might be the one to actually convince him to try. What happens when a boy who has spent his life since fourth grade trying to remain invisible is suddenly thrust into the harsh glare of the high school spotlight?

More after the jump! 


Review: I loved this book. It is definitely my favorite YA Book I've read so far this year. Like many people, I've always been self-conscious about my weight and my teen years were particularly difficult so I was equal parts nervous and excited to see how Sullivan would tackle an issue that is very sensitive for many of us. First off, Biggie has such a unique voice that I was immediately sucked into the story. Although I have to admit that while I was sympathetic to Biggie, I was put off by some of his...stalkerish tendencies. But Sullivan handled that deftly in a way that wasn't just swept under the rug as 'boys will be boys' and Biggie learned his lesson. Apart from that, I really liked how I felt like losing weight for Biggie was such a struggle and journey, and the role that his family dynamics played in it. Many books that feature teens and weight loss seem to gloss over the struggle to lose weight like a makeover montage scene in a movie. More importantly, Biggie also distinguishes itself from being about a single issue, in this case the main character's weight, and really addresses many different aspects such as blended families, bullying, etc. I would highly recommend this book to teens and adults alike. 

Rating: 5/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment