Thursday, July 17, 2014

YA Review - We Were Liars

Today I'm reviewing We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.


More after the jump!
Summary from Goodreads: A beautiful and distinguished family.
                                             A private island.
                                             A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
                                             A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
                                             A revolution. An accident. A secret.
                                             Lies upon lies.
                                             True love.
                                             The truth.


Review: This is the book that pretty much everyone on Goodreads and Twitter seem to love, so with that in mind when I saw it in the store I read the intriguing summary and despite not loving Lockhart's Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, I purchased it. I did enjoy Liars much more than Frankie Landau-Banks, so that was a good thing. However, I still had issues with it. Note: If you're worried about me spoiling the ending, don't be, I'm just talking about issues I had with the general story, not the "twists" or anything. One of my problems with Liars was that I had a hard time relating to, and more importantly sympathizing with, most of the characters who are of a wealthy Kennedy family type clan, except for a friend of theirs who is Indian-American and sort of acts as the voice of regular people. Not that I'm saying rich people can't have problems, but the glimpses we got to see of the Liars revealed rich kids who like to cause (mostly minor) trouble and luxuriate in the advantages provided by their wealth and never really fleshed out the characters beyond that. I felt like Lockhart focusing on the disjointed sentences that make up most of the book actually hindered the story rather than helped it. I understand what she was trying to do, and that the main character was the focus and it was meant to express her thoughts, but it became more and more frustrating as the book progressed. Finally, I don't know if it is just my suspicious nature or what, but for me the ending was not all that surprising. Overall, We Were Liars is a pretty good book, although I would probably recommend another title such as Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson instead. My suggestion, check it out from the library instead of buying it in the store.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment