Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review - Let It Snow Anthology

Hey Y'all,

Today I'm reviewing Let It Snow an anthology featuring three holiday romances by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle.


Summary From Goodreads: The New York Times bestseller! Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today’s bestselling teen authors—John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle—the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses.


Review after the jump!

Review:I love snow, however, living in the South I rarely get to see much accumulation. I respond to nature's stinginess by filling my to read list with winter/holiday themed novels and anthologies. This particular anthology features three holiday romances set in the same town during a blizzard on Christmas Eve. If it makes a difference, I have previously read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (At this point who hasn't?) and The Name of The Star by Maureen Johnson (What is it with YA authors and stars?!) as well as her 13 Little Blue Envelopes duo. Familiarity with Green & Johnson's work is what encouraged me to pick up the anthology. Well, that and the snowflakes on the cover b/c SNOW! The first story, The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson was hilarious and my favorite of the three stories. It achieved just the right amount of romance, snow-related adventure, and snark. All of my favorite lines in the entire book come from this story:

"There is nothing about a bad situation that fourteen hyper cheerleaders can't worsen." (p. 39)

"[He] must have sensed my despair from the way that I began lightly banging my forehead on the table." (p. 41)

"Being sixteen means you have to be a genius conversation editor." (p. 77)

The next story, A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green was enjoyable although not quite to the level of The Jubilee Express but as it progressed I found myself routing for the characters more and more. Unfortunately for me, the last story, The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle, was a dud. It started off well enough but the main character was whiny and the fact that she started a fight with her boyfriend over him not spending as much money on her gift really infuriated me so I found it hard to relate to her and DNF'd the final story. Which sucks, because since I had heard about her boyfriend in The Jubilee Express I was looking forward to finding out what happened to him. Oh well, two out of three isn't bad!

Rating: 3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment