Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Favorite Books in 2013

Hey y'all,

You know how sometimes everything is going your way, and you're all optimistic and make a bunch of to do lists with unreasonable items? Yes, that was my last post in October. While I intended to participate if not complete NaNoWriMo, along with posting more frequently here, and maintaining a 4.0 GPA (from the midterm), I ended up failing to complete any of those things. So what happened?

Well, I got sick and spent half of November curled into a ball hoping I didn't have the flu. This is what happens when you don't have health insurance and can't go to the doctor, kids!

So I got zilch writing done for both the blog and NaNoWriMo. I don't feel too bad about the NaNoWriMo challenge, because on the scale of importance school is my top priority. I did get quite a bit of school reading done, so that was good. On the school front, I ended up with an A- and 2 B+'s which works out to a 3.3 GPA, which I suppose isn't completely awful given I haven't taken a class in four years. Especially considering one of those B's was an 89.5%, however the rounding up policy of the professor was that a student has to have an 89.7 to even be in consideration for being rounded up to the next letter grade. Now normally I'm not one to quibble over percentage points, but considering the poor economy, a GPA could make or break your application and keep you from getting an interview.
However, I do understand the policy, and I'm more upset with myself for even being in that position in the first place.

Alas, the Spring semester is upon us, and it give me another opportunity to do better! =)
I'm really looking forward to the new semester and the classes I get to take:

LIS 602 - Information Representation & Access

LIS 603 - Management in Library & Information Science

LIS 658 - Knowledge Management

In fact, my KM class is going to have students blogging and tweeting about the required reading this semester. So I've started a second blog, whitnageKM.blogspot.com dedicated to that class. If you have an interest in Knowledge Management, feel free to go geek out! Or just stick around here, for book & school related posts.

In more book related news, I have managed to catch up on my leisure reading over break! So far I've read:

Ten Lords A-Leaping by C.C. Benison

The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard

Going Rogue by Robin Benway

Exposed by Laura Griffin

The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes,

I'm currently reading:

The Let it SnowAnthology with stories by John Green, Lauren Myracle, & Maureen Johnson

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

United We Spy by Ally Carter

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I *hope* to finish my current reading list and get my reviews written so that I can schedule them to post throughout the semester in case I can't update due to school work. (Side note: THANK YOU FOR THE SCHEDULE FUNCTION BLOGGER!)

Anyhow..I believe I promised you my favorite books in 2013? And given there is less than an hour left in 2013, I better hurry!

According to GoodReads I read 61 books in 2013 as compared to 35 books in 2012. This is what happens when you lose your job.

My Favorite Books that I Re-Read in 2013:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


My Favorite Books in 2013
Game by Barry Lyga (YA Thriller) 
Omens by Kelley Armstrong (Adult Supernatural Thriller) 
Prep School Confidential by Kara Taylor (YA Mystery) 
The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot (Adult Mystery) 
The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (YA Thriller) 

And that's a wrap on 2013, I hope you all have a safe and wonderful New Year's Eve! 

2 comments:

  1. There are so many books that came out last year that I really want to read. I just didn't have the chance! I hope you like or liked Fangirl, depending on where you are now! That's one I'm definitely going to read. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it. I was kind of worried I wouldn't because I thought it might make fun of fanfiction (which I love) but it's really good!

      Delete