Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Hey Y'all,

Phew! GRE is DONE.

If you follow me on Twitter you may already know this, but in case you don't, I did it! I made the scores I needed to apply to UK! Which is extremely lucky because I didn't have any back up.



So Monday I submitted my application and now it's just a waiting game.

*bites nails*

*waits*

*bites nails some more*

Seriously though, It shouldn't be too terribly long of a wait since I applied for Fall admission and the deadline for Fall applicants is 7/1/13. I'll let y'all know the outcome when I find out. In the meantime, please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Anyway, so today I'm reviewing a book received from Netgalley, Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead.


On to the review! 


Ok, so...I want to preface this review by saying that I adored the Vampire Academy series and so far I really like the Bloodlines spin off series. That being said, I didn't hate Gameboard, It's just very different from what I expected and Mead's regular readers should be aware before they rush out to buy the book. 

Gameboard Of The Gods is set in a futuristic North America (now called RUNA) where Mae a super-soldier and Justin a disgraced former government employee are charged with investigating a murder. 

As the first book in a new series, I understand the need for world building but the pace of this first book is very measured if not slow. I think that the Age of X series has a lot of potential though. The romance and mystery aspects were spot on, but for me I didn't feel as attached to the characters like I have in previous books. But to be fair, before she further developed the Sydney Sage character I felt the same way about her in the VA series. So I'm hoping that in book 2 of Age of X I'll feel less of a clinical detachment and more of an emotional attachment to the characters & story. So for now I'm going to recommend this book but with some slight reservations until the sequel comes out. 

3/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment