Friday, June 28, 2013

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Hey Y'all,

I forgot to mention this Wednesday, but I'm participating in the Clarion West's Write-A-Thon.

<--- See the shiny banner?

It's a great cause because it helps them to fund their fabulous workshops and my goal is to raise $150 for them. So if you'd like to donate, here's the link to my page. Anyone who donates $20 or more I'll name a character after you in my current WIP, The Descendants. It's a YA fantasy story based on the descendants of the Greek prophet Cassandra.

Anyway, today I'm reviewing an audiobook from my local library, Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.


On to the review! 


Beauty Queens is the story of a group of 50 teenage beauty queens on their way to compete against one another when their plane crashes. So now you've got 50 flailing queens fighting to survive and be fabulous at the same time. It's hard out here for a teen queen, y'all. 

First things first, at first I thought that this was a sort of departure from what Libba Bray writes. Then I realized between the Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Going Bovine, & The Diviners (all fabulous) that you can't categorize what Libba Bray is going to write. Categorizing can't handle that jelly. Sorry, it's late, I'll try and keep the Beyonce references to a minimum. 

As you can probably tell this book is a fantastical satire and I greatly enjoyed listening to it. I know that some really didn't like it or didn't get it, well I can't vouch for that but I think listening vs. reading made all the difference in the case of this book. Highly recommend! 

4/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment